Nyob zoo os. Welcome. Today we are testing an interactive Hmong language class, with the possibility of having more in the future. THANKS so much for joining.
-You may want a notebook and pen for taking notes. I am Sarah Gore – Nkauj Dawb. I have been learning Hmong since 2010, and trying to learn more and help others learn.
- Learn some vocabulary
- Practice pronunciation
- Have fun doing it.
TO LEARN: PUAS – do; are; would This is a YES/NO question word.
- DO you like…
- ARE you going…
- WOULD you mind…
So, whenever we see ‘puas’ the answer needs to be answered by Yes or No. How do we use ‘puas’? pronoun + puas + verb
- Q: Koj puas mus? Do you go? / Are you going?
How do we say ‘yes’? I’ll give you a clue, it’s not ‘YOG’.
- A: Mus. Yes. (Literally: Go.) How do we say ‘no’?
- A: Tsis mus. No. (Literally: Not go.)
There may be more than one verb in the question, so… Answer with the verb you want to know about.
- Q: Koj puas xav mus? There are two verbs here! What is it I really want to know? Do you WANT to go?
- How do you answer this with a ‘yes’? A: Xav. (Kuv xav mus.) Want. (I want to go.)
- How do you answer this with a ‘no’? A: Tsis xav. (Kuv tsis xav mus.) Not want. (I do not want to go.)
Here’s the link to the video on classifiers referenced to at the end of this video: https://youtu.be/5loPFyj0NsY
This was very helpful! Thank you!
You are very welcome!
My new neighbors here in rural Oklahoma are Hmong. I found this very helpful